The Business Application and Integration Services (BAIS) team serves the university by enhancing business and academic business processes by providing information technology support for the systems that securely store and deliver digital documents and resources.
We recognize that paper documents are an integral component of many campus processes. These documents are often used to supplement the information found in the University’s enterprise database systems. Documents are usually part of a business workflow that ensure proper notifications are made, administrative actions are taken, and required approvals are obtained.
BAIS supports several tools that help to reduce paper based content, increase available storage space, save time, and drive down costs. Indexing, tagging, and securely storing items such as documents, images, and information allows for these bits of data to be easily located and retrieved when needed so that they can be efficiently routed for proper review and approval.
BAIS supports the following technologies:
- Banner Document Management (BDM) and Banner Workflow systems are used as the primary enterprise document management system. These tools make university documents accessible to the community along with routing documents and information when required.
- The Discovery Commons Research Repository is a digital imaging and archiving system used for storing and preserving collections associated with research at Virginia Tech. Document Management Systems (DMS) staff work with the Digital Imaging and Archiving department to develop and support the Discovery Commons system: an implementation of the VITAL digital asset management product from Visionary Technology in Library Solutions (VTLS).
- JIRA is an issue tracking system from Atlassian. Issues can represent tasks, ideas, and requests that can often be found hiding in documents, people's heads, and emails. JIRA is used to capture, track, and organize these issues. It also has the responsibility of prioritizing them, taking action, and staying up-to-date with the status of those issues.
- Confluence team collaboration tool from Atlassian is our enterprise 'wiki' solution. It is used for team collaboration, information sharing, and knowledge capture.
- Ensemble is the enterprise content management system (CMS) owned by University Relations in the Division of Advancement and developed and operated by Enterprise Systems in the Division of Information Technology.
- One Campus is your central hub for everything Virginia Tech. This university-driven portal system serves as a jump point to all Virginia Tech online services for faculty/staff, students, parents, and alumni.
- BAIS Bookmarks links to many of our development, preproduction, and production servers.
If you need service with any of the products that we support please submit a request for service through TeamDynamix.